Skip to content ↓


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

All children are viewed as unique individuals. Where barriers to learning exist, staff work together with pupils and parents to investigate and overcome them in a supportive way. We encourage and celebrate determination and effort; the enjoyment of discovery when meeting a range of challenges, working independently and collaboratively, all building resilience and positive approaches for the future. We are a fully inclusive and nurturing school where all children are welcomed.

Westcott CE School is committed to ensuring that every child is provided with high quality teaching, matched carefully to the needs of all children, and an exciting, broad and balanced curriculum which offers academic rigour and creativity.  As a Church of England school, we place a huge emphasis upon developing our learners’ spiritual, moral and social understanding.

All staff are inclusive practitioners and as part of our ongoing assessments, we carefully track the progress of every child and provide support where necessary. However, sometimes a child may require further additional support to enable them to make progress. How this is decided and what we can offer as a school is detailed in our school’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Policy.

The SEND Policy can be found on the Policies page.

Scroll down below to read Westcott CE School Local offer.

The SENDCO at Westcott CE School is Ms K Gobby.

Tel: 01296 651360



At Westcott CE School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school.

In order to do this, many steps are taken to support them through their learning. Quality teaching is vital; however for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.

The Special Needs and Disability Co-ordinator is Ms K Gobby

Telephone: 01296 651360 Email:

Roles & Responsibilities of the special Needs and Disability
Co-ordinator (SENCO).

Our SENCO is responsible for the operation of the Special Educational Needs Policy and coordination of specific provision made to support individual children with SEN. They liaise with staff to monitor the child’s progress and plan further intervention where progress is slower than expected.

The SENCO has regular contact with a wide range of external agencies that are able to give more specialised advice.

If you have any concerns regarding SEN matters, do not hesitate to contact us.

There are many SEN terms that are abbreviated, which can lead to confusion.  Below is a glossary of the most commonly used SEN terms.

AAP Attention Advisory Practitioner
ADD Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder
BEDS Behavioural Emotional and Social Difficulties
CAMHS Child & Adolescent Mental Health
COP Code of Practice
CP Child Protection
DCD Developmental Co-ordination Disorder
EAL English as an Additional Language
EHCP Education and Health Care Plan
EP Educational Psychologist
FSM Free School Meals
HI Hearing Impairment
KS Key Stage
LAC Looked After Child
LA Local Authority
MLD Moderate Learning Difficulty
NC National Curriculum
OT Occupational Therapist
SALT Speech and Language Therapy
SEN Special Educational Needs
SEND Special Educational Needs and Disability
SENCO Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator
SpLD Specific Learning Difficulty
VI Visual Impairment
What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a local offer of all services available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.”

What does it do?

• The Local Offer provides parents/carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. With regard to Education, it will let parents/carers and young people know how schools and colleges will support them, and what they can expect across the local settings.

Where can I find the Local Offer for Bucks County Council?

• Please visit the Bucks Family Info website to find out what is on offer in Buckinghamshire and surrounding counties. The Local Offer can be found under SEND, or by using the search box.


1. How does Westcott CE School know if children need extra help?

We know when children need help if:

• concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child

• limited progress is being made

• there is a change in the child’s behaviour or progress

• Information or concerns are passed on to us from a previous setting


2. What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

• The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns

• If you have further concerns then contact the SENCO


3. How will I know how Westcott CE School support my child?

• Each child’s education will be planned by the class teacher. It will be planned accordingly to suit the child’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.

• As a small school, Westcott CE School takes pride in knowing each child exceptionally well. Because of this, we are able to provide targeted support, which is communicated and supported by all staff members, across the school environment.

• If a child has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, maths and English skills etc. then the child may be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need but will generally run for a term. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning.

• Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting between the class teacher and the Headteacher to discuss the progress of children within the school. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.

• Occasionally a child may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist etc. A referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.

• The Governors of Westcott CE School are responsible for entrusting a named person – the Headteacher and Designated Safeguarding Lead to be responsible for Safeguarding and Child protection procedures. They are also responsible for the monitoring and correct administration of the Disclosure and Barring service procedures and the school’s Single Central record. In a support and challenge role the Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the Department of Education.


4. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

• When a child has been identified with special educational needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.

• Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the child in a one-to-one basis or small focus group to target more specific needs.

• If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given a School Support Plan. Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher weekly and by the SENCO three times per year. School Support Plans will be discussed with parents regularly throughout the year to discuss progress towards targets and the child’s next steps.

• If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the child e.g. writing slopes, fidget cushions, pen/pencil grips or easy to use scissors.


5. How will I know how my child is doing?

• You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents/ Carer Evenings.

• If your child has a Support Plan, meetings will be organised, usually once a term, to assess and review your child’s progress. These will be held between the class teacher and parents or carers. The views of the child will also contribute to these meetings but may be gathered within an informal setting, prior to the meeting.

• If your child has an Education and Health Care Plan, you will be invited to an Annual Review Meeting with staff and other specialists, working with your child. Your child will also be given an opportunity to share their views towards the Annual Review.

• Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to discuss their progress. Appointments can be made, if you wish to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCO, by contacting the school office.


6. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

• The class teacher will suggest ways you can support your child.

• The SENDCO may meet with you to discuss how to support your child and suggesting strategies to use.

• If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.


7. How will you involve my child?

• The child is at the centre of every decision.

• Staff discuss with parents and carers, the best way to involve a child in contributing to decisions.

• The child’s level of involvement is based on their age, maturity and capabilities.

• Staff and parents and carers talk to their child in an appropriate way, which allows the child to express their views, wishes and feelings towards matters concerning them. These will then inform any decisions being made about the child.


8. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for children who are encountering emotional and social difficulties. These include:

• Members of staff, such as the class teacher, SENCO and Headteacher who are readily available for children who wish to discuss issues and concerns.

• We are an anti-bullying school.

• We encourage children to be respectful and considerate of all others, enabling a safe and secure environment for children to learn and develop.

• We have a robust Safeguarding Policy, which follows National guidelines.


9. What arrangements do you have for medical needs?

• If a child has a medical need then a detailed Healthcare Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the child.

• Staff have received asthma training delivered by the school nurse.

• Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.

• All staff have basic first aid training.


10. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by your school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.

The agencies used by the school include:

  • Child Protection Advisors
  • Educational Psychologist
  • AAP (Attendance Advisory Practitioner previously known as Educational Welfare Officers)
  • Inclusion Team
  • Social Services
  • Speech & Language Therapists
  • CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • Occupational Therapists
  • School Nurse
  • Specialist Teaching Service
  • Pupil Referral Unit


11. What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

The staff team have received training related to SEN.

These have included sessions on:

  • Ordinarily Available Provision and how to meet the needs of the children within the class
  • Supporting children on the autistic spectrum.
  • Supporting children with Speech and Language Difficulties.
  • Read, Write Inc training (a synthetic phonics approach to reading)
  • Raindrops training (a comprehensive tool to support children with movement, memory, focus and other skills)


12. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all.

• Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.

• However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a Teaching Assistant or parent/carer may accompany the child during the activity.


13. How accessible is the school environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

Facilities we have at present include:

• A designated toilet adapted for disabled users.

• There are wide doors in some areas.

  • Level paving around the perimeter of the school buildings.

14. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Westcott CE School or transferring to a new school?

Many strategies are in place to enable the child’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

These include:

• Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the child joining/leaving.

• All children attend a Transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.

• Additional visits are also arranged for children who need extra time in their new school.

• The Headteacher is  always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.

• The SENCO will liaise with  SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN children.


15. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

• The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.

• The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year.

• Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.


16. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

• These decisions are made in consultation with the class teacher, SENCO and Senior Leadership Team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of child progress and as a result of assessments by outside agencies.

• During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the child’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.


17. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:

• discussions with the class teacher

• during parents evenings

• during discussions with SENCO or other professionals

• Parents are encouraged to contribute towards their child’s Support Plan,  Education and Health Care Plan, to discuss how well their child is meeting targets and with possible suggestions that could be incorporated for their child’s future development.


18. What can I do if I have concerns about the support my child is receiving?

There are several people you can contact to discuss your concerns:

• Your child’s class teacher – this should be the initial point of contact


• The Headteacher

• The SEN Governor


19. Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or have concerns about your child’s learning please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with your class teacher and/or the SENCO.


We hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.

School office Contact Details

Telephone: 01296 651360



Review Date: October 2023

Next Review: October 2024